Representation for Both Purchasers and Sellers in Real Estate Transactions
Whether you are buying or selling real estate in Virginia, each type of transaction can include its own set of complex legal issues. Not every transaction is the same. Some clients require only basic settlement services, in which case, we refer clients to Elite Title of Virginia. Depending upon the issues and the complexities of the transaction, other clients, however, may need more help. In Virginia, a settlement company is not allowed to provide advice or opinions on legal matters. Also, some clients want a more personal relationship with an attorney as the transaction progresses from contract to closing. Having practiced at Smith Mountain Lake for almost 30 years, I have unique experience and knowledge related to these types of transactions.
Commitment And Guidance You Can Count On
If you decide that you want an attorney by your side every step of the way from contract to closing, or for that matter, any parts in between, we offer various levels of representation, from basic a la carte type services to a more complete and thorough step-by-step concierge style of representation where the attorney is available to answer your questions as they arise.
For sellers, our services include, but are not limited to:
- Initial review of the Contract pre-signing to discuss the client’s legal liabilities and other issues.
- Review of other legal documents that may be presented to the client during the contract to closing process.
- Work with the client and listing agent to reach out to settlement agent chosen by purchaser.
- Work with client and listing agent to discuss and handle legal issues that arise during the due diligence and home inspection phase.
- Review title report and discuss issues with client if title defects are noted on the report that need to be resolved pre-closing.
- Preparation of the Seller’s Deed.
- Review settlement documents with client in advance of closing (if client feels more comfortable, client can sign documents at our office as opposed to signing at the office of the settlement agent).
For purchasers, our services include, but are not limited to:
- Initial review of the contract to discuss the client’s legal liabilities and any other questions you might have.
- Review of other legal documents that may be presented to the client during the “contract to closing” process.
- Review title examination and title insurance binder and discuss the same with Purchaser.
- Review the survey if one is ordered and discuss the same with the Purchaser.
- Work with client and Selling agent to discuss and handle legal issues that arise during the due diligence/home inspection phase.
- Advise Purchaser and Selling Agent as to the effective handling of disputes as they arise and, if necessary, the termination of the contract.
- Review settlement documents with Purchaser and Selling Agent in advance of closing.
Start Your Preparation Today
With an office in Moneta, I can help clients in Hardy, in Union Hall and throughout the Smith Mountain Lake area. If you are ready to discuss your real estate law concern, call me, attorney Jim Gilbert, at 888-356-7459 or email me here to schedule your initial consultation today.